Friday, March 28, 2008

Liberal

“We are more liberal than others” – A thought which the entire literati and glitterati can not only identify with but also feel proud to be associated with. The literal meaning of liberal is open-mindedness. A “liberal” mind should be open to all types of thoughts and ideas. It should be free to think whatever it wants to and a “liberal” one does so. But shouldn’t it also let other minds think whatever they want to without any bias or prejudice? Is the “liberal” mind liberal if it compartmentalizes minds? Shouldn’t it treat all minds to be part of a big pool of minds and let everyone think whatever it wishes to instead of having bias against it? I myself am not justified if I claim to be liberal because of my prejudice against people who call themselves so and still are not ready to accept others thoughts and ideas. But then I do not want to claim any such thing. However I do wish is that we get rid of such bias because its effect does not stop at minds only but leads to the society being divided and eventually the entire humanity falling victim to it.

No comments: